There are some people out there that believe houseplant is harmless, or even a joke. I'm here to tell you that your houseplant addiction can be harmful to your life & loved ones if you aren't careful...
Well, maybe not that severe, but there are definitely some minor nuisances to being a houseplant addict. Here's what I've learned from personal experience;
1. Houseplants require a lot of dirt. Buy a car before trying to haul heavy bags of potting soil to your house on foot or on bike.
2. Vining houseplants will root in your carpet.
3. Houseplants find it amusing to become topheavy and tip over their pots.
4. Houseplants can bake in sunny windows.
5. When watering houseplants, make sure the tip of the watering can is under the leaves. Otherwise, the leaves act like a downspout and divert water onto the floor. This is especially important to remember when watering hanging plants.
6. Hamsters and cats like houseplants.
7. Male dogs also like houseplants (for a different reason).
8. Some houseplants are poisonous; if you think the human or non-human members of your household might want to nibble, check here before buying.
9. Wagging dog tails are like weed-whackers. Keep your plants away from the front door and other happy places.
10. Don't try to give your houseplants individual names; many people have gone mad trying to remember the names they gave their plants. If you name them all the same thing, they respond just as well.
11. Little spider mites will spread before you even know they're there.
12. If you have a job, a family, or any other activities that take up your time, bonsai may not be the right hobby for you.
13. Flowering plants look great at the store but chances are you'll never see them flower again. Buy for the foliage instead.